Free More Download - Skype (pronounced /skaip/) is a software application that allows users to make voice and video calls and chats over the Internet. Calls to other users within the Skype service are free, while calls to both traditional landline telephones and mobile phones can be made for a fee using a debit-based user account system. Skype has also become popular for its additional features which include instant messaging, file transfer, and video conferencing. Skype has 663 million registered users as of 2010. The network is operated by Microsoft Skype Division, which has its headquarters in Luxembourg. Most of the development team and 44% of the overall employees of Skype are situated in the offices of Tallinn and Tartu, Estonia.
Unlike other VoIP services, Skype is a peer-to-peer system rather than a client–server system, and makes use of background processing on computers running Skype software; the original name proposed – Sky peer-to-peer – reflects this.
Some network administrators have banned Skype on corporate, government, home, and education networks, citing reasons such as inappropriate usage of resources, excessive bandwidth usage, and security concerns.
On 10 May 2011 Microsoft Corporation agreed to acquire Skype Communications, S.à r.l for US$8.5 billion. The company is to be incorporated as a division of Microsoft, and Microsoft will acquire all of the company's technologies, including Skype, with the purchase
- Skype calling - Skype has all the features of an ordinary phone so it's even easier to manage your calls
- Video calling - see who you are talking to at the same time as speaking to them
- Add Skype and SkypeOut contacts - Add contacts who use Skype and those who use ordinary phones so you can call more people
- Organising groups - group contacts under certain names and share them with your contacts so they can talk to them too
- Basic chat and emoticons - when it's not convenient to call, chat or Instant Message (IM) your contacts
- Group chat - for when it's easier to chat or Instant Message (IM) all your friends at once
- Profile settings - change how you appear to the world and let people know a bit about you
- Conference calling - talk to more than one friend at a time
- Import contacts - search your address book to find friends and family that already have a Skype name and start calling them for free
- View Outlook contacts - view and call your Microsoft Outlook® contacts quickly and directly from your Skype contact list
- Quickfilter and Speed-Dial - find Skype contacts, recent chats and SkypeOut contacts quickly and easily, then enter their Skype name to call them back quickly